I have finished my latest piece. I posted a WIP picture of her in my last post, but I thought I'd show some pictures of how she evolved and the sources that inspired me along the way. I started with the intention to create something beautiful from "nothing". I really enjoy making art from junk. There is beauty in the process of altering something of no value and making it something that is beautiful to the eye. So this piece started with a trip to the salvation army, where I found tons of stuff to use in art for very little money. I used the following youtube videos as a model for technique and for inspiration:
Go check out these videos! They are great tutorials.
So, here's how it all started:
Here's the next step:
And at this point I started pulling together the finishing touches. I formed a face out of polymer clay and a mold. After baking it in the oven I applied a bit of color with some simple markers. Then I painted her skirt and applied some paper flowers and leaves. I also decided that she needed some buttons for her lady parts, lol. :) I created her wings with coffee filters, dressed up with some paint and bling. I also added some paper flowers to the record to integrate her with the background better. I used some letter tiles to spell out "create" to remind myself that opportunities to create are everywhere. And as a final step, I glued her to the record with E6000, which is truly awesome stuff. So here she is, and I called her simply "Something from Nothing":
This same look could probably have been achieved in a much simpler fashion, but I really had a good time trying out new techniques and just simply playing around to see what I could make out of items that would normally just be trash.