Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Recap of Art and Soul, Day 2

More about Art and Soul....cuz really, I can't say enough about how wonderful it was.  Day 2 my class was The Women of Juarez by Linda and Opie O'Brien.  Go read their blog here.  This was an assemblage class which is completely not my forte. 

We made assemblage shrines dedicated to the women of Juarez.  To quote Linda and Opie's blog:
"Our love of Mexico is a well known fact. We’ve been going there since the late 80’s. The art, the colors, the food and the people continue to touch our hearts, enrich our lives, and influence our art. This Friday workshop is a bit more personal and pays homage to the women of Juarez. The violence there against women is ongoing and no secret. Movies have been made, stories have been told, yet it continues.
This workshop is about awareness and empowerment and adding our voice once again to stopping violence against all women by creating a unique box construction shrine to house a dress that we will make from colorful tin cans, a vintage tin type, and some of your favorite beads, charms, Milagros, fibers, etc., using our favorite collage and assemblage techniques. " 

I think their statement pretty much sums it up.  It was a very moving topic to inspire our assemblage, but in addition to that I also learned so much about making attachments without using glue.  I have so many ideas about what I want to do with my leftover tin!!!

Here is the piece I created in class:
I like it a lot.  I am so inspired to use these techniques again. 

So also on Friday I took an evening class as well called A Trio of Transfers by Lesley Venable.  Visit her blog here.  Her husband made home made cookies and brownies for our class, and let me just say YUM!!  I learned a lot about transfers with transfer ink solution, contact paper, and saran wrap....yes....saran wrap.  I didn't necessarily do a full canvas work or anything, but I did finish an art journal page and 2 tags with techniques I learned in class.

Here is my art journal page using the transfer ink solution:
And here is one of the tags I made using the contact paper transfer technique:

By the end of Friday I was just so tired, but also excited by all the things I had learned. 

I'll continue my Art and Soul recap soon.  Hope you are all having a most wonderful week!

-Joy

2 comments:

Andrée Lachapelle said...

I really like the journal page, and I love how your tag turned out! Good work -- and it sounds like a really fun time!

Joy said...

Thank you!! You could come with us next year.... That would totally rock!

-Joy